[ale] OT:DVD burner recommendations

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Wed Jul 9 22:11:20 EDT 2008

aaron wrote:
> Noticed an _external_ USB connect DVD +/- DL reader / burner
> at Geeks.com for $40 complete.  It's a Pioneer and I have
> had good results with other Pioneer DVD burner models.
>
> < http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=DVR-X122-R >
>

> On Wednesday 09 July 2008 15:41, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
>> $$bluray$$
>>
>> Microcenter has the OEM Multiburneres and some even do the lightscribe thing
>> for under $50. Newegg has some SATA port burners as well. Linux drives all
>> of them for the past 5+ years now (yay!).
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Slightly off topic, but it is for a Linux box. Anyone have any personal
>>> recommendations for a multi-format DVD burner? My double layer Lite-On
>>> burned itself to death. I don't think Linux compatibility is so much an
>>> issue anymore except for maybe blue-ray, which could be an option as
>>> long as it's not too much moolah.
>>>

>> --
>> --
>> James P. Kinney III

Yeh I've been looking at Pioneer, It would have to be an internal as my
MoBo has the older slower USB, so I'm afraid it might choke or being
that I'm not the most patient I might choke it. Anybody know about
Plextor? I've had good luck with Plextor in the past, in the early days
CD-ROMS. Had a couple of SCSI with the carrier instead of the tray.
Still have one in my old stuff closet. I can't seem to be able to
connect to plextor.com, but can get to plextor-europe.com.