[ale] XP Malware - XP Security Center

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Jul 8 09:29:38 EDT 2008

Daniel Howard wrote:
> Short question: do you have a win XP malware removal tool you recommend?

I've been using the AVG rescue disk for a while now.  Works very well.
Boot the machine from the disc so as not to run the OS on the machine.
Enables you to install updates from a usb device also.  Kinda pricey
unless you plan to use it on a regular basis.  $150 if I recall correctly:

http://www.grisoft.com/ww.product-avg-rescue-cd

> Long version:
>
> I've googled myself to death on this one.  I've tried everything so far
> except purchasing a new Windows antimalware program (currently use
> ClamAV and Spybot SD).  I've somehow picked up a malware program that
> puts a red circle with a white X in it in the task tray that keeps
> trying to get me to buy some rogue antispyware program called XP
> Security Center.  I researched it, sure enough it's malware (rogue
> antispyware), found the names of the files used (winivstr.exe and
> braviax.exe) and couldn't delete them due to being in use, so I booted
> my XP install disk in recovery mode, and deleted the files from all
> locations found from searching (in the WINDOWS and SYSTEM32
> directories), and dang if they still don't get replaced on reboot.

Understand, there are some nasty viri out there that can only be removed
manually.

> So, I probably need to purchase a better tool for removal, but there's
> so much crap out there that poses as malware removal that is likely yet
> another malware package.  Is there a good malware removal package that
> would work on beasties like this one?
>
> Thanks, Daniel

Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin