[ale] ubuntu +windows shares

Joshua Chase joshua.d.chase at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 15:57:01 EDT 2008

sudo apt-get install smbfs

sudo mkdir /media/mountname

Then edit your /etc/fstab file (you need root privileges) to add this line:
//servername/sharename /media/mountname cifs
guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode 0 0

Where

   -

   *guest* indicates you don't need a password to access the share,
   -

   *uid=1000* makes the Linux-user with specified uid or username owner of
   the mounted share, thereby allowing that user to rename files,
   -

   the combination *iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,unicode* allows access
   to files with names in non-English languages. This doesn't work with shares
   of devices like the Buffalo Tera Station, or Windows machines that export
   their shares using ISO8895-15. With these the codepage argument has to be
   *codepage=cp850*, otherwise characters like the German 'Umlaute' are
   displayed as garbage.

After you added the entry to /etc/fstab type:

sudo mount -a

These above steps worked perfectly for me.

Source is from the Ubuntu wiki Page

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> jeramey.beck at atlbecks.com wrote:
> > When I try the following command:
> > /mount -t cifs //192.168.1.129/pictures /media/pictures/ -o
> user='jeramey beck'/
> > ubuntu prompts me for my password...I enter the password and everything
> gets
> > mounted and everything SEEMS fine.  But when I try to read or write any
> data
> > to/from this mount it is SOOOOOOOO slow that I just give up.  The data is
> > collection of pictures...nothing real big...between 2 & 4MB each.
>
> What network card do you have?
> lspci | grep -i network
>
> What's your link speed (replace eth0 with your NIC)?
> sudo ethtool eth0 | grep Speed
>
> How long does a transfer of one large file take take?
> dd if=/dev/urandom of=foo bs=1MB count=100
> time cp foo /media/pictures/
>
> -Brian

Joshua Chase
GMT - 5:00