[ale] New system...

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Jul 2 18:30:36 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:

> With RAM requirements over 4G, you will need to look at the 64-bit chip
> systems for best capabilities. If you can swing the cash, the AM2/AM2+
> Opteron systems have the virtualization b its that make things like Xen fly.
> I'm sure VmWare supports that ability as well. I know the socket F Opterons
> also have that ability. Athlon 64 X2 Brisbane is their consumer grade
> dual-core chip with virtualization bits on the cores (AM2 socket chips).

For virtualization, why stop at two cores? AMD just launched a new
revision of their quad core parts [0]. The Phenom 9150e sounds like a
good balance of price, performance, and energy efficiency. It's pretty
cool to see quad-core for less than $200.

[0] http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/amd-9350-phenom.ars

-Brian