[ale] New system...

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Wed Jul 2 09:47:48 EDT 2008

One thing that is a real gotcha with using vmware and 64-bit systems is that some of these systems don't have a bios that supports the ability to allow 64-bit vm's.
I got a little singed on some boxes I got (Microcenter PowerSpec) that I intended for that purpose, but I can only run 32-bit vm's on them because of this.
Server class HP's have a bios switch to enable this, but it is usually defaulted to off.
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com> wrote:

> I need a lab system that can support VMWare.. the Fryes AMD and my older
> Dell
> can't do 4 Gb memory, and I think I need at least 4 GB.. HD size isn't as
> muc
> as issue as memory/processor.. NOTE: lab system, not production.. If I
> could
> free up my existing lab box for other duties, like tribox.. that would be
> great.

With RAM requirements over 4G, you will need to look at the 64-bit chip
systems for best capabilities. If you can swing the cash, the AM2/AM2+
Opteron systems have the virtualization b its that make things like Xen fly.
I'm sure VmWare supports that ability as well. I know the socket F Opterons
also have that ability. Athlon 64 X2 Brisbane is their consumer grade
dual-core chip with virtualization bits on the cores (AM2 socket chips).

James P. Kinney III