[ale] Getting Linux on an old laptop with only floppy drive and 100 MB Iomega zip drive

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:12:30 EST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 9:31 AM,  <dhhoward at comcast.net> wrote:
> I've got an old Win98 Toshiba satellite that I want to put Linux on, but no CD ROM drive and no Internet, but I can get it to talk to an old Iomega 100 MB Zip drive.  Any way to take an Ubuntu CD-ROM iso image and chop it up into 100 MB chunks for copying to the laptop or installing from the Zip drive?

Can't forget about Puppy Linux. Below is a link to the Puppy Linux
Discussion forum. It implies that Puppy2 is the way to go in your
case.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6996&sid=a3a050f969ef59860182ae0d49f589ee

If you are going the thin client route, LTSP can work from a boot floppy.

This article may help:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,2132841,00.htm