[ale] Lightweight Distributions (was Getting Linux on an old laptop)

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Tue Jan 29 15:03:47 EST 2008

A fresh Gentoo installation is fairly lightweight except for the disk
storage that Portage (the packaging system) takes up.  For kicking out
Gentoo systems on minimal equipment, you can place those specific parts
of your tree on an external NFS export with the expectation that that
export will be detached (and therefore that Portage will be unusable)
once the system is in the field.  Of course, for updates or additional
software, you could always bring the machine in, mount the Portage
stuff, and carry on.