[ale] Cablemodem problems, considering DSL - OT response to OT comments

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Sun Jan 27 10:08:57 EST 2008

The Internet is NOT "open air".  My email over this wired network is
technically almost identical to the phone network (with many components
being identical) and legally is similar.

Our Constitutional right protecting us against unreasonable searches
does include our paper mail, homes, vehicles, person, and our non-public
electronic communications and hardware.  (Btw, if a policeman or similar
ever asks for permission to search your car, home, or person the answer
almost always be should "I do not give consent to a search". Taking
a breathalyzer test or tolerating a "pad down" for weapons during a
traffic stop almost always is the only exception.)

Virtually all Internet traffic does not go over any DOD or other guvment
(sic) equipment; its almost all private vendors to the end users,
similar to the phone system.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]