[ale] Corrupted Desktop Terminal

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Jan 20 13:56:21 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 12:52 -0500, Jay Goodman wrote:
> Much of the Gnome stuff uses a registry type thing instead of good ole
> fashion dotfiles.  Never tried it and I take no responsibilty but try
> this

Fortunately, gconfd is not really like the Windows registry.  It
actually is an extremely flexible configuration system that supports
(and by default, at least in Ubuntu, uses) XML files for configuration,
and supports the ability to use an MVC setup in an application with
mechanisms for instant-apply preferences and the like.  It eliminates
some of the requirements for explicitly telling applications to reload
their configuration files or having to restart things, because you can
simply change a configuration preference within an applications' gconf
space and have the setting instantly picked up by the application.

It really is a nice system, aside from the fact that it does not use the
traditional UNIX configuration file approach.  However, I think that the
benefits of the system outweigh that aspect.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us
cell: 678-522-7934                       im: mike at trausch.us, jabber