[ale] Slackware help needed

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Fri Jan 18 09:52:31 EST 2008

Jim Lynch wrote:
> I'm trying to help a client get an OLD slackware install working.  His
> samba/ldap configuration has quit working.  I can't even figure out how
> to start services on this system.  So questions:
>
> What's the equivalent command to /dev/init.d/ldap start on slackware?

I don't have an active slack machine right now, so I can't help you with
that.  As I recall, there are rc files, but they're in a little
different location.  Try doing something like:

find /etc -name '*rc*' -print

> How do I find out the version of slackware this system is running,
> /etc/issue is empty/meaningless.

look for /etc/*release

> It looks like the OS was installed in 2002 but the kernel is a 2.4.x
> version compiled in 2005, so at least it's been upgraded somewhere along
> the line.
>
> Any idea where slackware might put the snmb.log or ldap logs?  Or is
> that really dependent on the installer.

Can't help you there either, but I would expect in one of the following:

/var/log
/var/log/samba
/var/log/smb

--