[ale] Bad weather

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Jan 17 22:48:34 EST 2008

On 01/17/2008 03:49:40 PM, mute wonder wrote:
> 2008/1/17 Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>:
>
> > The more difficult problems I think are centered around the fact
> that
> > this area really does not have the infrastructure to deal with
> freezing
> > road conditions.  They have a little bit of sand, as I understand
> it,
> > but they do not use salt to thaw the ice on the road or anything.
> >
> > Then again, add to that the fact that when anything happens that
> alters
> > the conditions of the road, everyone seems to stop.  Why /is/ that
> > around here?
> >

> That was mostly my concern.  The weather itself isn't too bad, but
> the
> city's response, the drivers' reactions are usually /dreadful/.

Personal hypothesis/guess: lack of current practice along with a
conviction that a large fraction of people think they are durn good
drivers (especially when they are yammering on the phone, fixing the
radio, eating and what have you all at the same time as driving. And
yes, guilty as charged as I do all of the above at one time or another)

How to demonstrate that guess properly is another story.