[ale] set time manually on a RHEL 5.1 server

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Jan 17 14:21:58 EST 2008

Remember that the time is actually recorded in UTC (a/ka Zulu or GMT).

The DISPLAY of the time however is controlled globally within the system
by the timezone file (/etc/localtime) or overridden by the TZ variable
if set.

You may have the correct UTC time set but the user may be using a
different time zone than you expect.

You can do "echo $TZ" (or have the user do it if you think his variable
is different) to see what value it has.

You can do "zdump -v /etc/localtime" to see what the timezone file
you're using by default is actually setting.  (zdump /etc/localtime will
just give you its current time).

Also make I've seen issues (especially on dual boot systems with
Windoze/Linux) where setting the BIOS to use UTC time causes issues
between time seen in Linux/Windoze because both try to update the
hardware clock on shutdown.

FYI:  You probably want to use the hwclock command after you have
correct time to insure the hardware clock is correct anyway.