[ale] question about Arch Linux (was: strange keyboard problem)

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:32:34 EST 2008

I cannot put into words how much I dislike Gentoo. That alone should
tell you my opinion of that statement. But, there is one area that
could be misconstrued as Gentoo-like. Oddball, extremely bleeding
edge, packages are usually found in a repository called AUR (Arch User
Repository). This repository is very similar in nature to BSD's ports
system; which in turn is what Gentoo is based on. That is, every
"package" in the AUR is really a file that tells the pacman package
manager where to download the source from, what it depends on, and how
to build it. I rarely need a package from the AUR.

Load up Arch in a virtual machine (vmware, qemu, whatever) and play
around with it.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/