[ale] Re: Mapping VirtualHosts to public_html

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Tue Jan 8 15:42:01 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 3:24 PM, James P. Kinney III <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 14:18 -0500, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > > Personally, I like sticking the different domains I host all in
> > > /var/www/<domainname>
> > >
> > > WMM
> >
> > My only concern with that is if I ever allow a web designer to log in.
> > I believe these guys use Publisher or some other program at hit a button
> > named "Upload".  Some magic happens and the website is on the internet
> > via FTP.  When I slurped ours down I ftp'ed into the site and it was in
> > the root of my ftp directory.  I guess to do the same I would need to
> > configure ftp that the users root should be ~/public_html

I've successfully used /var/www/<domainname> with softlinks set as
/home/<user>/<domainname> in the past.  Most web publishing tools support
user ftp login with either a hardcoded path of ./<domainname> or the ability
to set a path, such as ./public_html.

> And FORCE those IDIOTS to use f*cking SFTP. It is FREE except for the
> brain time to learn how to use it. Just tell them it helps stop the web
> site from being hijacked (which it does since FTP has absolutely NO
> security at all.).

The problem isn't the IDIOTS, it's the VENDORS (which are presumably idiots
too) of the tools they use.  Most web publishing software uses ftp, some use
webdav, and only one (IIRC) supports scp... and that was a Linux web
publishing tool (and most quality web publishing tools AREN'T Linux
unfortunately, and the vast majority of professional web designers, of the
drag-n-drop set, seem to use non Linux platforms).

-Jim P.