[ale] OLPC.. Wow.

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Thu Jan 3 10:19:43 EST 2008

> you need two boxes for it. And I'm pretty curious about the mesh networking
> stuff, but I'm too paranoid to run wifi in my house.

I run an open WiFi at my house, my in-house network is considered
'hostile' - no shares, etc.. I SCP/SSH from machine to machine.
Old habits die hard.

My house is reasonable isolated and sits uphill (40 degree slope)
on the side of Signal Mtn.

No problems except:

About a month ago, I notice a neighbors car parked at the bottom of the
driveway. John's a nice guy, but I'm curious, run SNIFFIT. Kewl, John's
borrowing some WiFi, I snarf a few pages of web and e-mail traffic on my
laptop and head for John's car. he smiles sheepishly and says: "My DSL's
down and I needed to check e-mail and such..." I show him his last e-mail
grabbed via POP3 and told him if he's stop by for coffee/beer I wouldn't
sniff his connection. Funny, he's never done that again, or stopped by. :)

--

   I'll see if I can make the next ALE meeting and bring the OLPC.
   I'd also like to see it "mesh" and play like a little kid some more with it.