[ale] OT: GPS/nav units?

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 13:58:22 EST 2008

Hmm. I have a Garmin eTrex Legend (
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=173 ), an inexpensive hiker-type
unit.
It comes with large-scale maps of  the continental US (e.g. major highways
with exits and a few arterial streets).  It connects to a PC through a
serial (RS-232) port with a proprietary cable. Allegedly you can take
waypoint information off of it with linux, but I've only spent about 15
minutes trying with GPSBabel ( http://www.gpsbabel.org/ ) with no joy.
Detail maps are available in some DRM format that you can only download
through Winders. I got it in order to provide precise locations where I'd
taken specimens as part of the Great Smokies ATBI.

Since I got it I've used it occasionally to find my way. It's pretty fun,
although it won't work inside an automobile. You have to hang the gadget out
the window for its antenna to pick up the magic sky birds. I used it on last
year's BRAG ( http://brag.org ) to chart my progress though.

You can't easily do a global purge. For the $200 or so, I'd say that if the
gendarmes are lookin' for you you can simply burn it.

-- CHS