[ale] the _REAL_REASON_ for the admin change

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at livedatagroup.com
Wed Feb 20 16:58:01 EST 2008

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Randy Ramsdell
> <rramsdell at livedatagroup.com> wrote:
>
>>  I am not sure what is meant by something being a  third level of
>>  protection because each is equally important. It also appears that
>>  viruses anr't an issue here since I never get hits for viruses off this
>>  list.
>>  On thing to note is that Spamassassin will check these lists and it will
>>  check ALL mail relays within a message header whereas Sendmail is
>>  probably only checking the connected ip.
>>

> You DON"T want spamassassin checking files that haven't been first
> cleared by a virus scanner.  SA does too much interaction, via perl,
> with emails that it's not worth the risk.   Always use this order:

Makes sense, but I was thinking you meant "by order of importance" not
"by order of precedence.".  It is kind of interesting that there may be
a way for e-mail that is scanned and contains a virus could run code on
the system? Anyone have some background in this? I am not sure how that
would work and am not sure it is even possible since Spamassassin
basically is doing a regex on text and skips messages larger than a
certain size. At any rate, we block viruses before before Spamassassin
come in and does its work.

>    1) DNSBL checks
>    2) Virus checks
>    3) Spam checks
>    4) blacklists
>    5) whitelists
>    6) valid recipient checks
>
> -Jim P.

My other point was to let spamassassin do BL checks also. So I would
thinking .

1) DNSBL checks
2) Virus checks
3) Spam checks ( including DNSBL )