[ale] OT:Recommended scanners

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Feb 19 13:02:40 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 10:49 -0500, Scott Castaline wrote:
> Looking for a film scanner. I'd rather not get another flat bed scanner.
> I can't seem to find any lower priced scanners for scanning negatives. I
> have a ton of old 35mm and some negatives for the old Instamatic 126 &
> 110 formats that I'd like to scan into my system. I think I can justify
> the purchase to my significant other if it's not a flatbed as we already
> have an all-in-one. I've been emailing with the writer of Vuescan and he
> seems to push towards flat beds by Epson.

	I don't know about the 126 format but the 110's should be adaptable.
110 slides would be in 35mm sized carriers, anyways.  Film strips might
be challenging.  I also had a few of those old "disk" format negatives.

	I'm in a similar situation and was contemplating this model:

	http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=19138

	5 M pixel imaging.  48 bit, 3600 dpi.

	They are (were) on sale at $85.00 with their catalog.

	Anyone with any experience?  I was tempted to get one and see how well
it worked with sane.

	This one does not incorporate the IR scratch/dust detection like some
models.  I saw a few other models up on E-Bay as high as 7200 DPI.  The
ones with the IR compensation seem to be extremely ssslllooowww.

	Mike