No subject

Mon Feb 18 20:03:41 EST 2008

Serial ATA (SATA) chipsets -- Linux support status

Revised: Wed Jan 11 18:25:55 PST 2006

Problem:
 Serial ATA (also known as S-ATA or SATA) chipsets are rapidly replacing
legacy "parallel ATA" (PATA, i.e., regular ATA/133) chipsets -- but many
Linux installers' kernels don't yet support many Serial ATA chipsets. If
yours isn't supported, you have an installation obstacle.

 --- SUSE Linux 9.3 and later's installation kernel, Fedora Core 3 and
later's, CentOS 4.1 and later's, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and later, Gentoo
Linux 2004.3 and later's, Knoppix 3.7 and later's, Debian 3.1/sarge and
later's (especially when started with the "bf2.6 boot flavour" boot image),
Slackware 10.2 w/test26.s boot option, Xandros Desktop OS 3.0 and later's,
Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) Linux 5.04 "hoary hedgehog" and later's, Vector Linux 5.1
and later's, Libranet 3.0 and later's, MEPIS Linux 3.3.1 and later's, Kanotix
2005-03 and later's, Linspire 5.0 and later's, PCLinux OS preview .81 and
later's, ArkLinux's, and Mandriva Linux 2005 and later's
--- all have a good selection of the required drivers.

(Scott Kveton's and Kenshi's Debian netinst images do, likewise. see
Links/Resources.)

Note: There is no such thing as a distribution or its installer (generically)
"having SATA support" (or not). Please send anyone speaking in such terms to
this page. (Some SATA chipsets have been supported since practically forever,
as their programming interfaces are unchanged from PATA predecessors. Others
are brand-new and require new drivers from scratch.)

HTH
peace
aaron