[ale] M$ refund

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Wed Dec 3 18:43:36 EST 2008

> Good for him. In the US we have an even better option: buy one with
> linux to begin with.

We (work) just bought 14 point of sale systems, touchscreens, card swipes,
and printers.. without OS, and was limited to buying the models w/512k ram
rather than the 1g that the WinXP based systems had. But the smart sales
dude offered to sell me matching ram that I had to install (we bought it).

I asked the rare clueful sales droid, why can't I get the no-OS systems
with 1gb of ram, his story was that their agreement with M$ only allows
them to sell "lesser" machines without OS, that if the specs matched a
system that they sell with WinXP or Vista, they had to sell it with WinXP
or Vista.

Sure seems to ring true with what I see on the market.