[ale] bypassing fingerprint scan to install Linux on laptop

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 10:14:15 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> It requires disassembly of the machine to access the bios chip and a
> pair of unlabeled pins that deactivate the bios scanner need. Normally
> this is done with the supervisor BIOS password and the hardware hack is
> dubious at best.
>
> I bet I know what it was donated.

this is pretty much what i saw from my searches too.  afterwards you
will use a password instead of the scanner.  i had wondered if flashing
the BIOS after disabling the scanner would reset it to a "factory" state.

worst case, if you can find the person who donated it and get them to
drink from a glass (which you then carefully procure) you can create a
copy of their fingerprints and steal the Declaration of Independence!