[ale] is USB stick safer than CD-ROM/DVD

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Mon Apr 28 20:56:49 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:14:45PM -0400, jtholmes wrote:
> We have so many pictures on DVD that it takes about
> 4 DVD's to hold them all and it keeps growing.

That dvdisaster site claims that data on DVDs first fails near the outer
rim.  Inspecting my backup DVDs indicates that they are burned from the
innermost ring first.

Thus, if one simply does not use more than 90-95% of the DVD capacity
there will be no data near the outer rim and thus no data loss for a
longer period of time.

Thoughts?

Bob