[ale] RAM and Harddrives

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon Apr 28 16:32:05 EDT 2008

Geoffrey wrote:
> JK wrote:
>> James Sumners wrote:
>>> I don't see any reason to further complicate things by trying to put a
>>> SATA drive in the machine.
>> I meant, he can't just go out and buy any new drive; he needs a PATA one,
>> unless SATA drives are backward-compatible with old PATA  interfaces.
>> So this is one more constraint.
>
> It's not like you can't find pata drives, easily found.

Right. The original post, however, was phrased in such
a way that it was not obvious whether the poster was
familiar with the difference between ATA, PATA, SATA,
SCSI, etc; and he received what might be taken as an
unqualified "no" to the question "is there any constraint
on what hard drive I can put in the old machine?"  I am
merely trying to clarify for him that there *are* constraints,
and not only those imposed by BIOS limitations.

-- JK

--
I do not particularly want to go where the money is -
  it usually does not smell nice there. -- A. Stepanov