[ale] low-memory distros?

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Sun Apr 27 17:21:50 EDT 2008

Afternoon,

On to a new subject... I may inherit my wife's laptop and I'm thinking
of installing a distro on it to take with me when I travel. The laptop
is a bit old - 6 years (Sotec 3120X) but it's the perfect size (12" screen
and 4.4 lbs.). The specs on it look pretty good but It's only got 384 MB
of memory and some it is used for the GPU (nominally 32MB but
could be 64MB).  So I've got a couple of questions:

(1) What distro would you recommend that has a window manager
and OpenOffice? (I can always install Openoffice later).

(2) What wireless PC Card do people recommend that works with
Linux but doesn't require ndiswrapper?

BTW - Right now I'm thinking about Fedora Core or Ubuntu with
XFCE and Gnome. I'll use XFCE for most things but when I need
to do system stuff I may crank up Gnome. I'm thinking about the
CentOS 5 as well.

TIA!

Jeff