[ale] Ubuntu 8.04 and reconfigure X

Dan Lambert danlambert at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 27 10:28:45 EDT 2008

I don't know whether anyone else has experienced this, but when I
upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04, my wifi hosed up on me. I'm running this on
an IBM (Lenovo) ThinkPad X60s. I also have two desktop computers running
8.04 with no issues, but they aren't wireless

After some experimenting and a lot of reading, I found that others were
having problems with the wifi on their laptops, regardless of flavor or
manufacture. It seems that the common link between them was that Network
Manager was hosing the wifi, and loading the CPU to 100%, without
allowing any connection activity to be processed. I couldn't effectively
run any programs because the CPU was maxed out, and it took forever just
to get a terminal window opened.

I removed Network Manager (sudo apt-get remove network-manager),
rebooted, and everything works perfectly. No WiFi issues, and it cruises
along just like a dual core should.

Dan