[ale] RAM and Harddrives

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sun Apr 27 08:43:35 EDT 2008

On Sunday 27 April 2008, Jon Reagan wrote:
> Thanks, everyone.  The memory (RAM) apparently has 4 chips, but I noticed I
> had only half the RAM when I removed just one.

Sounds like the four are set up as two pairs. This was a very common
arrangement... Try to find a manual for your board on line and see what the
max is.

> Is there any place I can look to see the maximum harddrive size that I
> could get?  (in BIOS, etc.)

There are several diffrent limits and each has various workarounds. Best way
to see which one your up against is pop a spare drive in and do a test
install and see how much HD shows up... The 32GB limit is an Award BIOS
limit. Seem to recall it was the limit that gave me fits back when I still
dual booted. Fairly trivial work around once you figure out which one to use.

Oh, some overlay / helper program I installed from a CD that came with a
Maxter HD was a *pain* to get rid of! (It was not the one that worked.) Sorry
I don't remember more, it has been a few years:)
--
William