[ale] AT&T U-verse and Charter: SMTP problems

laytonjb at charter.net laytonjb at charter.net
Sat Apr 26 19:10:05 EDT 2008

Evening sports fans,

I bit the bullet and switched from Charter to U-verse (AT&T). It's the only
fiber in this area and I think other Roswell residents in my are can attest that
Charter has been a mess. For me, it's been a mess for 4 years - ever since I
got it. It was constantly going down and one time it went down for 2 weeks
because of charter and they tried to blame me.

Anyway, enough complaining.

I've got AT&T installed using their modem/router but I'm keeping my charter
account because so many people know my address and I'm subscribed to
lots of mailing lists.

So I can download my email just fine, but when I try to send using smtp.charter.net
it says that it's refusing. Why is this? Is there anyway around this (can I use
AT&T's smtp but have my return email go to charter.net?)

TIA!

Jeff