[ale] LPIC Training?

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Sat Apr 26 12:17:25 EDT 2008

----- ale-request at ale.org wrote:
> Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:17:08 -0400
> From: Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com>
> Subject: Re: [ale] LPIC Training?
>
> Josh Wells wrote:
> > I am fairly new to linux and wanting to take some formal training to
> work towards getting the LPIC 1 certification. Anyone know of a good
> source for this training in the Atlanta area?

There are not many training firms that do Linux training along the LPIC-1 certification in the Atlanta area.  Linux ETC did some classes back in 2003 in Sandy Springs, but that was also due to a conference associated to a few of our clients (so everyone would be in one area at once attending).

If you are up for a Boot Camp style class, I can give you a few options off list.  These are all inclusive, so the cost would be the class + travel to/from the site.

> According to the LPI's training partner search, there aren't any in GA.
> I hope that's wrong. Big Nerd Ranch has done some in the past, but I
> don't see any courses on their schedule. Ubuntu has designed two courses
> to help people pass LPI 101, 102, and 199 [0], but the nearest place
> offering them is Texas. You may have better luck looking for Red
> Hat-specific training.

Training wise though, if one wanted to be "distro neutral", you get into the mentality of "redhat-config-<insert TUI/GUI tool here>" or "system-config-<etc...>" vs. the LPIC will make one think at a "generic level" of "vim /etc/<pick your config file>" or similar via the command line.  This is not to start a flame war of GUI vs. CLI, just what the original intents of the exams focus on.  And yes, I have taken exams on most fronts in the Linux realm, including those from certs no longer around (e.g., SAIR Linux & GNU) or "first runs" (SuSE Linux Certified Professional before Novell days) as well as those that are "active".  If one wanted to finish the RHCT/RHCE exams faster, use the built in tools which is part of the distro specific route.

On a side tangent, if the goal is Linux knowledge for a particular distribution, then going with RedHat, Ubuntu, and Novell/SLES training is certainly an option.  Novell/SLES is having a revamp of their Linux Certs I hear as well, which might be of interest for those wanting something in the SLES arena.

> If it fits your learning style, it's probably easier and cheaper to
> try
> self-study with a good book [1].
>
> [0] http://www.ubuntu.com/training/certificationcourses/professional
> [1]
> http://www.amazon.com/LPI-Linux-Certification-Nutshell-OReilly/dp/0596005288/

Actually, I would not recommend the above text, instead Ross Brunson's Exam Cram LPIC-1 text.  There are some "issues" within the training realm about the O'Reilly text being a bit "too dated" for the current exams.  Granted, Ross's text came out earlier, he focused this to be still able to cover thing for quite a while.  And yes, I know Ross personally, but do not consider a bias since I review LPIC training material for our courses on a regular basis.  Also to note, Ross is still doing training work with Novell/SuSE these days as well.

If you (or anyone else) do want the O'Reilly text we have ~10 copies on the shelf up for sell.  Email me directly off list and we can figure out the shipping costs from Denver, CO (Louisville is a 'burb to Denver for those wondering, not to be confused with the one in KY too ;-) ).

With the LPIC specific exams, there are some online tutorials that have been posted on a regular basis within the LPI Discussion email list (the URLs should be there as well per memory).  These are kept quite current since IBM is one of the groups putting out these tutorials.

HTH.

Sincerely,

Crawford Rainwater
CEO and President