[ale] fetchmail or getmail?

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Thu Apr 17 03:32:16 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> fetchmail = tried and true, known to work
> getmail = new hotness, known to work
>
> test both and give your opinion here :-)

I'm currently using fetchmail and I'm having an issue or three.

My current mail setup is a ESMTP server using a smart relay with a
fetchmail/procmail combo for getting incoming mail from an Exchange server
via IMAP. It generally works but I'm having two specific problems:

1) Domain names in the local domain get stripped down to the generic Email
domain name. For example testme at mymachine.goofy.com gets reset to
testme at goofy.com.

2) Some messages just disappear. Currently I'm saving all of the spam and
bounces in a separate mail folder. But there are a few message that I know
that I'm on the recipient list that I never receive and cannot locate
anywhere.

The first is simply annoying. I think it's the masquerading domain line in
the sendmail.mc file. Here are the relavent lines:

define(SMART_HOST,smarthost.goofy.com)
dnl # Masquerading options
FEATURE(`always_add_domain')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`goofy.com')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(goofy.com)dnl

But IIRC I commented out the masquerade_entire_domain FEATURE and still got
the same result.

As for the second, any quick hints on how to get more info from
fetchmail/procmail? fetchmail only seems to log octets downloaded and I
can't for the life of me get procmail logs to work.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

BAJ