[ale] SWAP over NFS

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Apr 16 23:46:41 EDT 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> There is some good movement on K12LTSP to have a series of apps run
> local on the client (firefox with flash and streaming video is the main
> drive) to offload the decompression to the client to stop bogging down
> the server. A work party made it happen about 6 months ago but they have
> not published what they did or how to replicate it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if your thin clients are powerful
enough to run firefox and flash smoothly, why are they being used as
thin clients? Wouldn't a setup like Chris is trying to accomplish (swap
and root fs over the network, with the appropriate tmpfses so that
multiple clients don't clobber /var/run etc) be just as easy to
administer and require less beefy server hardware?

-Brian