[ale] linux friendly isp for dsl

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Tue Apr 15 00:57:26 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Jason Fritcher <jkf at wolfnet.org> wrote:
> Smeadspam wrote:
>  > Now I'm working off AT&T who were surprisingly quick to get
>  > my number ported over. The only rub was the windows only registration
>  > that I had to go thru to get my username/pass into the backend RAS
>  > database. Sheesh!
>
>  AT&T surprised me last week with how fast they can provision an order. I
>  placed an order weekend before last for a voice line and a 6.0 DSL line.
>  When UPS got here mid-day Tuesday of last week with my modem, I was able
>  to plug it in and have it sync right up. Less than 2 business days to
>  provision a voice line and DSL on top of it and get me the modem.
>
>  For any Mac users here, I also discovered that their Install CD has a
>  Mac app on it to setup your username/pass and configure the modem. Was
>  nice because I could not file *ANY* information on how to do the
>  user/pass bit without the CD. :/

Last time I tried this (it was BellSouth then) I didn't even bother
with the CD, I just hooked my Linux laptop up to the Westell(?) modem
and (after figuring out the subnet it was using), I pointed a browser
at the .1  IP.   Filled in user/pass, changed some settings, and was
good to go.

If you think about it, the software is really just a pretty way for
average joes to bypass dealing with ipconfig and the modem admin page.

-Jim P.