[ale] Fiber (was Ethernet)

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Apr 13 19:53:25 EDT 2008

On Sunday 13 April 2008 14:38, Brian Pitts wrote:
> Daniel Howard wrote:
> > Cat6.  But I like Chris' suggestion of an ALE community toolchest, I'd
> > chip in.  Remember the suggestion a while back that we chip in to get
> > one of those $10,000 laser turntables to digitize our LPs (my wife is on
> > the lookout for one of these at an estate sale...).
>
> This is one of the nice things that's evolved out of Free IT Athens.
> Many volunteers have stopped hoarding parts or tools that they rarely
> need and instead store them in our space for the community to use.
>
> -Brian

The critical enabling point being "our" space.  I would LOVE for ALE
to have a regular working & gathering space for installations, build
outs, community projects, socializing and regular public outreach.
The reclaimed dorm house that Free IT uses in Athens has some
aspect of resident subsidy if I recall correctly... or is it donated?
We haven't found a similar opportunity / arrangement in the Atlanta
area yet, but I'm always keeping an eye out.

peace
aaron