[ale] portable scanners

Cy Kurtz ckurtz11 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 12 15:25:44 EDT 2008

Any thoughts on a portable scanner?

First of all, everyone congratulate me. I bought a restaurant. Yippee!

Ok, now I have a need to scan business cards and checks at the restaurant. My
hope is to scan in business cards and checks as they arrive and have the
device store the info in, idunno, jpg, tif or some other format.

At the end of the day, I'll take the scanner home and plug it into my home
computer(hopefully a usb port), and suck all the data off of it. I can then
type it all into some sort of contact database.

<ramble>If the scanner has OCR software, which I think many do, I might even
be able to import it into something. I'm using Kmail right now, but I like
evolution's contact portion better. I wonder if Open Office has a way to
manage contacts.</ramble>

Most of the portable scanners I have seen so far are meant to be used with a
computer - I'm looking for one that can stand alone  - and they have software
to automagically import the data into outlook or some other M$ nonsense -
can't stand M$ it's got to be OS.

So, there you have it .. lots of questions .. . .  .  .    .    .

Thank you,

Cy Kurtz