[ale] Notes on Ubuntu 7.10 install

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Apr 10 15:11:21 EDT 2008

I've just installed Ubuntu on a new system today.  I did mine last night
and the other one today.

The one thing I've not been able to get working is the X and the LCD
monitoring while booting live cd.  I get "Out of Range".  After a bit
googling I learned that this is common with LCD monitors.

I went to tty1 and executed sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org.  After
configuring for the LCD I did killall -9 X and I got a great looking
graphical interface.

It seems that the default xorg.conf has a refresh rate that is set too
high.  I only own on tube monitor.  I'm trying to get rid of them.