[ale] Spammer using my address :(

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at livedatagroup.com
Wed Apr 9 15:40:57 EDT 2008

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Guys,
>
> A spammer is apparently using one of our company addresses as a reply
> to address.  ie. We're getting th bounce messages.
>
> Does anyone know of anything that should be done mitigate the problem,
> or do we just have to hope the spammer changes reply addresses in a
> day or two.
>
> Thanks
> Greg

Basically. One thing to check is SPF records. I think the logic is is
that if you have a SPF and then check that, then the e-mail can be
rejected and probably at the smtp level. Of coarse, this doesn't stop
the e-mail from reaching your server.

For postfix, this may help.

http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#firewall

Randy Ramsdell