[ale] MS Money Alternative (was error booting XP after dual boot install of Ubuntu 7.10)

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 14:16:45 EDT 2008

Don't know about the rest summarized below, but I downloaded M$ Money
trial version to my XP machine, loaded my dad's .MNY file, then exported
it to QIF (strict export, not M$ version that supposedly keeps all info
but is not generally usable by other apps) and GNUCash read it just
fine, except for the fact that GNUCash took so much effort to categorize
each item during import.

The funny part for all y'all (I so seldom get to use the plural form of
y'all...) is that as we worked on it, it became clear that he really
just wants to have an electronic checkbook, but doesn't want to (nor
does his rural bank support yet) online checking, so now I'm thinking
just a spreadsheet with appropriate columns would serve his needs.  But
he did enjoy seeing how many Open Source alternatives there were and how
one could get the data from a M$ application into something more
generally usable, so it was a good exercise nonetheless.  Thanks to the
group for all the great suggestions.

Daniel

 >Moneydance is a pretty good program. Not sure if it will import MS
Money files, but it imported my Quicken stuff without any issues.

 > > http://www.moneydance.com/

 > > I've been using it for the past five years. It's so much easier to
use than Gnucash. Very much designed for personal finances as opposed to
business.

For my very simple needs, I've been happy with Homebank. It works well

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO