[ale] FC7 and IDE disks

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Oct 30 20:16:39 EDT 2007

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 14:12 -0400, cfowler wrote:
>> I'm trying an install of FC7 to a USB disk.  Why does FC7 say my IDE
>> disk is sda.  I understand my USB disk being sdb but ide?  Did the
>> naming convention change?
>
> 	That's the new convention with the newer 2.6 kernels.  The old pata
> driver is now being deprecated in favor of a unified ATA driver
> supporting both PATA and SATA that operates through the SCSI layer.
>
> 	Couple of gotcha's...
>
> 	If you have /dev/hd devices in /etc/fstab and up upgrade the kernel,
> you may find you can no longer mount your partition.

If you're installing to a USB stick, you definitely want to have UUIDs
in your fstab. I'm not certain if Fedora does this by default. Simply
replace /dev/foo with UUID=foo. You can check a partition's UUID with
the program vol_id.

You'll want to make corresponding changes in your boot loader configuration.

0Brian