[ale] FC7 and IDE disks

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Oct 30 14:38:34 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 14:12 -0400, cfowler wrote:
> I'm trying an install of FC7 to a USB disk.  Why does FC7 say my IDE
> disk is sda.  I understand my USB disk being sdb but ide?  Did the
> naming convention change?

	That's the new convention with the newer 2.6 kernels.  The old pata
driver is now being deprecated in favor of a unified ATA driver
supporting both PATA and SATA that operates through the SCSI layer.

	Couple of gotcha's...

	If you have /dev/hd devices in /etc/fstab and up upgrade the kernel,
you may find you can no longer mount your partition.

	If you have more than 16 partitions on an IDE drive, you are going to
be screwed.  SCSI only allows 16 partitions where as the old PATA IDE
driver allowed more.  The minor number field for the partition is only 4
bits wide for SCSI.

> Chris

	Mike