[ale] OpenSuSE 10.3

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 28 21:32:34 EDT 2007

I've just installed OpenSuSE 10.3 on my laptop (Compal FL30).  I'm really enjoying the distro.  It does boot faster, the Software Management tool is much faster, and the convenience factor is way up.  The installation source tool has a community repository option that lets you pick from the build service repositories.  Now, I had downloaded the full 32bit DVD for this laptop install so I didn't have to worry about a internet connection until the system was installed and ready to update itself.  It was definitely a lot smarter about handling the initial kernel update.  I noticed there is a very minimal installation option available again.  I would say that 10.3 is, in quality, a lot like 9.3 or 8.2.  I did choose a lot of the defaults during install for software, such as KDE 3, OpenOffice, and Firefox.  I would definitely recommend this distro so far.  I did find that I needed to pick the nvidiaG01 package off of the nvidia repository.  After that SaX2 had the card, and screen preconfigured quickly.  I thought I'd pass on the experience.  Also VMware workstation does need the latest update of version 6.x to be compatible.  Otherwise you get a compile error on one of the modules during the vmware-config.pl script.
Best wishes,
Dow

No sig.