[ale] 1U server question

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Oct 24 15:28:29 EDT 2007

I think you missed the point.

The NIC/IP discussed below is for a "management card" which is separate
from the standard kind of NIC you use for OSes.  Typically such
"management cards" are accessible even when the OS is shutdown so long
as there is power to the chassis.   These are quite common on UNIX
servers such as HP.

My earlier suggestion was that the Dell 1950 has something built into it
already that may do this though I wasn't sure.  If not I know they do
sell a management card solution for some of their systems.  It appears
Jonathan is saying Dell and HP do sell such solutions.

The benefit to this device is you can use it to power cycle the system
even when the OS is already down.  They also usually have a console
interface so that you can access the OS when it up.  Also since it is
built into your 1U rack space you don't have to try to plan for more
rack space for external KVM or remote power controllers.