[ale] 1U server question

Allan Metts ametts2 at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 24 11:54:19 EDT 2007

I've recently been installing HP DL140 G3 Servers in a co-lo
facility.  These have a third NIC on them, which provides "lights
out" capabilities directly to the BIOS and motherboard.  You can
power cycle the machine, check sensors, etc.  For an extra $200 you
can have full KVM and virtual disk capabilities on this same port.

This third NIC can be configured for either DHCP or a static IP in
the BIOS.  The MAC address for this port is also visible in the BIOS
-- by taking note of these, I can figure out which machine is which
by looking at which MAC addresses registered with which IP addresses
at the DHCP server.

A----