[ale] 1U server question

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Oct 24 08:32:38 EDT 2007

I'm toying with the idea of putting in a small system in a colocation
site and was looking at 1U servers.  I've not worked with these before
and haven't quite figured out how you initially boot them.  None of
them, that I've looked at, mention a serial port which was what I
thought one might use to communicate with the bios.  One did have a
statement like "lan only" under "Remote management" which I'm assuming
is how you'd access it.

But, how would that work?  I could see if it were a dhcp client it could
get an ip address, but then you'd have to guess what it is.  Also it
wouldn't make sense to assume dhcp 'cause once you got it in the colo
site, you couldn't be assured that there was a dhcp server nor would you
be able to connect to it.

Anyway, before I spend $$ on something, I think I need to know how these
things work.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Jim.