[ale] Skipping hung init step?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Oct 22 13:51:58 EDT 2007

On HP-UX one can bypass one of the init scripts if it appears to be hung
by hitting Ctrl-Shift-| (pipe).

I just had one of my /etc/init.d (rc3.d linked of course) scripts hang
on me on RHEL 3 and was able to kill the process because I had an open
window that hadn't been closed by the shutdown yet.   It would not
however, let  me go to one of the alternate console windows and login
which is why I used the open terminal I'd had.

Is there a keystroke to make the init stuff bypass a hang in Linux like
the one noted for HP-UX?