[ale] USB Key FOB not unmountable by user

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sun Oct 21 09:46:06 EDT 2007

Chuck Huber wrote:

>I have an annoying little problem that I can't seem to solve.  I'm
>certain someone on the list will be able to help.
>
>I have a USB flash storage FOB formated with an ext3 file system.  When
>I plug it in, something mounts it to /media/disk.  However, I can't
>unmount it without first su-ing to root.
>
>I guess the first question is what's mounting it?  It's not in
>/etc/auto.master or /etc/auto.misc.  Nor is it in /etc/fstab.
>
>Second, where can I set an option to allow non-root users to unmout it?
>
>An excerpt from /var/log/messages follows.
>
>Thanks in advance,

On my kubuntu system if I bring up Konquor and navigate to /media and
right click on the directory that represents the device (in my case,
usbdisk) I see a menu item entitled "Remove safely" or words to that
effect.  I'm on the road and don't have access to the system right now
so I don't know the exact wording.  I can't say it works for SuSE, but
it's worth looking.

Jim.