[ale] How to rotate a movie file (AVI format)

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Oct 17 10:50:50 EDT 2007

Ok, the short form in the subject doesn't make much sense. Here is the
long form with background. Maybe somebody here has a clue that they are
willing to let me use.

My son has some video of my granddaughter, who is finally getting old
enough to doing some interesting stuff, like speaking, waving, barking
with the dogs... Unfortunately the video is in AVI format, and he wants to
change that to something (I'm not sure what either) more useful to him,
and to rotate the picture so that the child is standing up, not standing
sideways.

Now the conversion part is easy (sort of). Feed the video into mencoder
with appropriate switches. Appropriate switches being an exercise for the
reader of course 8-). But rotation of movies? Preferably a lossless
rotation of course, since the video is a little dark.

Anybody have a clue I can borrow?

Thanks in advance