[ale] apcupsd

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Oct 15 12:23:13 EDT 2007

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I'm having some ( more ) problems trying to figure out how to add services in
> this Debian system..
> the Services menu from System only shows 9 services-anacron,
> atd,cron,klogd,sysklogd,gdm,kdm,cupsys, and apaches2.
>
> I would like to add a few services to start up automatically:
> firestarter, ntpdate, apcupsd.. but I can't find a way to add them.
> every time I reboot, my clock goes off by 3 hours, and apcupsd doesn't
> restart.

Hi Paul,

If you can stomach the command line, update-rc.d is Debian's equivalent
of Red Hat's chkconfig. Basic usage is pretty simple, see
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/28 ; it beats making the
symlinks by hand.

Keep in mind that all the firestarter GUI does is apply iptables rules.

-Brian