[ale] OLPC was: bump

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 19:44:02 EDT 2007

 >Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:50:26 -0400
 >From: "Ned Williams" <nedj10 at gmail.com>
 >Subject: Re: [ale] OLPC was: bump
 >
 >Actually if you follow the OLPC project the increase in cost actually
comes down to two very failed policies of the project...their original
belief that they would only sell to governments(in batches of 1 to 3
million) and their refusal to sell to western countries. Both of these
policies have changed in the last month as their largest order
previously was a private buyer,in Mexico for 250,000 units (the guy that
owns COMPUSA ironically enough)..

I'm guessing we're all a bit right on this one, and the course changes
Negroponte has made unfortunately put him dead center in Intel's
competitive landscape, which could mean his eventual downfall.  All that
being said, it is a fine piece of technology; the kids that reviewed it
really loved the squishy keyboard, e.g., even though I tried one of
those with my 5th graders and at first they liked it, but eventually
they opted for a conventional keyboard for speed of use--they don't have
to worry about water/humidity on them.

Sometimes marketing is a matter of specific dollar amounts: if I could
buy one for $220 and in the process, make a $30 donation to units for
kids in developing countries, it would be a lot easier for me than
paying $400 for it when I could get a conventional laptop for my kids
for not much more and put Ubuntu on it as well as any other titles I
chose.  I nonetheless applaud Negroponte's efforts (except for tilting
to M$) and am hopeful that something good will come of it.

Daniel

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO