[ale] OLPC was: bump

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Wed Oct 10 18:00:54 EDT 2007

 >True, it's unfortunate that "100 dollars" became their mantra. It's my
understanding that the increase in price is largely due to factors
outside their control - the increased cost of metals and the weakness of
the dollar - rather than anything new added to the system.

 >-Brian

My understanding was that the price went up $30-50 due to increased cost
but the last bump to close to $200 (although they still quote $175-187
in the press for quantity orders) was to add RAM so it could support
Windoz.  Here's link to buy 2 get 1 for $399:
http://www.xogiving.org/?gclid=CL2D8uakhY8CFQ4JQAodwzzEwg

Here's a link to the Intel Classmate PC
http://www.classmatepc.com/

Intel and Negroponte were at odds for a while, with the latter accusing
Intel of selling below cost in his market countries to undermine him.
Which Intel certainly would have been smart to do, given that at the
time AMD was the preferred vendor and sat on the OLPC board.   Now,
Intel has joined the OLPC board, and although no one says it's to get
Intel chips into later generation XOs, what do you guys think...

And here's Asustek's me-too based on Intel's Classmate reference design
for $249:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/04/asustek-firms-up-classmate-pc-plans-prices-starting-at-249/

Best,
Daniel