[ale] bump

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Wed Oct 10 12:38:40 EDT 2007

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:58:29 -0400
From: "nic white" <hhhhhddddzzz at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ale] bump

 >it surely is not a standard... hell, it's not really even functional
for my needs this is why we have to stop this purely capitalist machine
from invading tech ignorant peoples in developing countries... teach
them linux instead and how "to fish for themselves"
 >-nic

I'm working on it...I am developing a proposal to the Motorola
Foundation (I work for Motorola) for funding an effort in Malawi, Africa
to install a solar powered thin client system connected to the Internet
via WiFi directional antennas to the nearby University of Malawi.  Since
most remote villages are within 10 miles of each other, a daisy chain of
WiFi links could work well.  It will definitely be running Open Source
software.

I originally considered the OLPC XO, but it wouldn't be as useful for
the adults (I want both the kids and adults to use the PCs) plus I am
quite disappointed in Negroponte for increasing the cost so that he
could put enough RAM in it to support Windows.  Initially, he promised
that it would only run Open Source for both cost and philosophical
reasons.  I believe he is having so much trouble marketing it,
especially with Intel and a Taiwanese firm offering similar devices and
undercutting his marketing efforts (Classmate PC is Intel's attempt to
prevent Negroponte from selling too many AMD based XOs, e.g.) that he
has caved into the dark side and now wants it to support Windows as
well.  The Intel and other competing device both spec Linux as the OS.

Daniel

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO