[ale] ALE CENTRAL MTG for THURSDAY, OCT. 11, 2007

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Oct 9 12:40:40 EDT 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Jim Popovitch wrote:
<<snip>>
> I agree w/ Jim Lynch... Ubuntu makes a difficult Server version, LTS or
> not.   Why on god's green earth do server distros need to load (by
> default) things like USB, dbus, bluetooth, NetworkManager, wifi drivers,
> etc....
>
> The differences between a Desktop and a Server are staggering...
> unfortunately most distributions try to address this gap with a single
> kernel branch.

<<snip>>
At the risk of a thread hijack, I think there is a really good question
for the speaker (sorry - distance is too great for me to show up and do it
myself) struggling to emerge here. Maybe a whole family of them...

There really are significant differences between the desktop, the server,
and the laptop. And lets not consider the hybrids that some of us run
(guilty) for one reason or another. How can the distributions address
those differences without causing themselves vast support/configuration
headaches? There are landmines here, but where?